The construction of Güterhof in 1787 was a milestone event for the city of Schaffhausen. For the first time, the old city walls were razed and the moat was filled; Güterhof was built on top of them. The architecture was designed according to the fashion of the times: trapeze-shaped with a small courtyard. Güterhof was built with a flat gabled roof, unlike the surrounding buildings with their steep post-gothic roof style. The number of windows and the style of their arrangement reflect the late baroque period in which it was built.
Originally the south side of the Güterhof was directly on the Rhine, allowing cargo barges to be loaded and unloaded directly from the ground floor. The boat landing as we know it today was first built in the 1960s as part of the construction of the power plant and Rhine bridge.
From historical storehouse to modern hotspot, Güterhof in Schaffhausen has witnessed a lot in its many years of existence. Learn more about the history of Güterhof, which spans over 200 years.